One of the best mouthwatering recipes of india which is available throught india, any where you go you will definitely find gol gappa, the name only changes but the taste remains the same. Best thing ot this snack is that it is one of the cheapest snack of india but one of the famous snack also know as the streat snack.
A1- For making Gol Gappe (plural Gol Gappe)
- Sooji (Semolina ) 1/2 cup
- Maida ( Plain Refined Flour) 1/2 tbsp.
- Cooking Soda 1/2 teaspoon=
- Salt to taste
- Oil for Frying
A2- For Spicy Pani or Spicy Water
- Chopped Mint Leaves 1 1/2 cups
- Chopped Coriander Leaves 1 tbsp.
- Tamarind 1/3 cup
- Ginger 1"
- Green Chillies 4 to 5
- Ground Cumin Seed (roasted) 1 tsp.
- Kala Namak (Black Salt ) 1 1/2 tsp.
- Salt to taste
A3- For Filling
- Boiled Potato, finely chopped /mashed and mixed with salt and red chilli.
A4- For Red Tamarind Chutney
- Tamarind 1 cup
- Jaggery 1/2 cup
- Sugar 2 tbsp.
- Red chilli powder 1/2 tsp
- Kali Micrch (Black pepper) powder 1/4 tsp.
- Dry Roasted cumin powder 1 tsp
- Cloves 2
- Warm water 2 cups
- Vegetable oil 1 tsp.
- Salt to taste
B1- For Gol Gappe or Gol Gappa :
- Mix semolina, plain flour, Cooking Soda salt , 2 tablespoons of oil and knead well to make dough, leave it bit stiffer than normal.
- Cover it with a wet towel and let it stand for 20 minutes.
- Now make very small balls and roll them into small circles.
- Remember not to make the circles bigger as they have to be eaten whole.
- Remember to put the circles under a damp cloth as soon as you roll them.
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan and then fry them.
- The idea is to puff them like a sphere and fry them till golden brown.
Take them out and put them on kitchen paper towel, to get rid of the extra oil.
- Let them completely cool down ( otherwise they will become soggy)before you put them into an airtight container.
B2- For making spicy water or Pani
- Soak the tamarind pulup in one cup of warm water for one hour.
- Strain the tamarind residue out to get thick tamarind water. While straining in the strainder mash the tamarind with the help of a spoon.
- Put mint leaves, chopped coriander, ginger, chillies and dry roasted cumin seed.
- Add a little water and mix to a smooth consistency using a blender.
- Put this thick paste into ta jug and add fill the jug with water. ( Add the water slowly and taste the mixture and if you want to dilute more then add water.)
- Add salt and black rock salt to taste. ( Black Salt or Kala Namak is an important ingredient in this )
- Put it in the fridge to cool down.
- Remove the seeds from tamarind and soak it in warm water for one hour.
- Meanwhile dry roast the cumin seeds and the cloves.
- Pound them into coarse powder.
- Now take the Tamarind pulp mixture , strain it and add jaggery, sugar, red chilli powder, black pepper powder, roasted cumin powder, cloves and salt.
- Put the mixture in a pan and heat for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Remove from heat and let it cool down.Note that on cooling down it will thicken up a bit, consistency like thick cream is ok. otherwise you may want to add some warm water.
- On cooling, blend the contents in a blender
Do I have to tell you how to eat it, if you haven't tried it before then it is quite an experience.The ideas is to
- fill the Puri or Gol Gappa with filling made of spicy potato, at least 1/4 space of gol gappa should be filled.
- then add spicy water and put it into the mouth completely.