ooooooooH! Dalia, this is one of the simplest recipes of the world but one must know that this is one of the most nutritious recipes of the world, do you know that Doctors recommend Plain Dalia or Dalia Kheer After sickness and ever after operations, one must not forget that this recipe is one which is recommended specially to young children and to sportsmen too, so let us gear up to make dalia you can choose any one of the three mentioned below, so enjoy.
1- Dalia Khichadi ( Namkeen Dalia)
( Vegetable Daliya )
- 1 cup Bulgar wheat (i.e., dalia, the fat variety)
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 green chilies, slit
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 3 cauliflower florets
- 10 French beans, washed, ends trimmed and chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped carrot
- 1 tablespoon fresh green peas
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 sprigs of fresh curry leaves, washed and torn
- Dry roast the dalia in a wok until lightly brownish in appearance and it smells aromatic.
- Remove from flame and transfer to a plate.
- Now heat oil in the same wok.
- Once hot, add cumin and mustard seeds.
- Allow to splutter.
- Once they stop spluttering, add curry leaves, green chili and onions.
- Stir-fry until the mixture smells aromatic and the onions are lightly browned.
- Add coriander leaves and mix well.
- Fold in the veggies, salt and tomato. Mix again.
- Stir in about 2 tbsp. of water to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the wok.
- Cook on medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Fold in the roasted dalia and mix thoroughly.
- Add water and then transfer the whole mixture to a pressure cooker.
- Cover and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles.
- This takes about 5 minutes.
- Switch off the gas, and then let the dalia cook in its own steam inside the cooker for 2-3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, remove from cooker, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
2- Dalia ( Plain Dalia)
- 1/4 kg wheat
- 1/4 kg dalia ( Gram)
- a little cardamom
- malai and sugar (as required)
- Wash the wheat with plenty of water.
- Spread it out to dry on a piece of cloth, preferably in a little sunlight.
- Roast dalia on a slow fire. Mix the dalia and wheat.
- Add a little cardamom and nutmeg for seasoning.
- Grind to powder.
- Serve with Malai extracted form milk and add sugar for taste
3- Dalia Kheer ( Milk Dalia )
- Dalia (lapsi) 1/2 cup
- Sugar 1 cup
- Ghee 1/4 cup
- Milk 2 cup
- Water 2 cup
- Eliachi Powder 1/2 tsp
- Kismis 8-10
How to make Dalia Kheer:
- In a pan heat ghee and fry dalia over low flame till light golden.Add hot water and milk.
- Allow to cook for 4-5 min.
- Then add sugar and kismis.
- Add water or milk if necessary.
- Lastly add elaichi powder and mix well.
- Dalia kheer is ready.